Call for Executive Director
Who We Are:
JackPine Press publishes limited edition chapbooks.
Some of our publications have encouraged readers to re-imagine what a book is and can be. What sort of object facilitates creative writing? Some of our publications are more traditional, involving hand-sewn book-binding techniques using high quality materials. Past publications have been recognized by the Alcuin Awards for Excellence in Book Design and the bpNichol Chapbook Awards.
Founded in 2002 by Tim Lilburn, Sheri Benning, Jennifer Still, Heather Benning, Rosalie Benning, and Helen Marzolf, JackPine has published more than 70 limited edition, hand-bound chapbooks written and designed by Saskatchewan and Canadian artists.
Until JackPine was officially recognized as a non-profit, the press was run by an editorial collective. JackPine Press is funded by the SKArts Board.
What is the Opportunity:
We are seeking a creative, organized individual to aid the volunteer board in running the day-to-day matters of the press. Reporting to the board, this individual is the front-line interacting with our writers and creative partners, as well as sales and inquiries from the general public. The board of directors meet virtually and regularly (approximately twice a month) with the Executive Director to make decisions about the direction of the press’s operations. The executive director receives a monthly honorarium of $750. The typical hours of work range depending on the time of year with a flexible and fluctuating schedule. Most work is completed remotely on a flexible schedule.
Executive Director Key Responsibilities:
Delegation of editorial responsibilities and overseeing all production of the press. Including but not limited to:
- Overseeing board grant reporting
- Overseeing press financials and budget
- Email correspondence with team members and authors
- Communicating submission procedures
- Sending and receiving postage
- Press promotion and marketing
Who you are:
- Previous experience with writing, publishing, editing, or book design
- Previous experience with non-profit, arts, and/or publishing organizations/administration
- Strong leadership skills
- Enthusiasm for hand-made chapbooks, poetry, and art
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and creativity
- 2-5 years experience in the not-for-profit or arts and culture sector would be an asset.
- background in writing/editing or proofing preferred
JackPine Press is a non-profit organization invested in decolonization, anti-racism, and anti-hate. We consistently edit for ableist, racist, homophobic, and transphobic language. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, please email us at email@example.com a cover letter and CV. ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS UNTIL FILLED.